The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- William Walter
- Regimental #:
- ‘C’ Company
- Place of Birth:
- Prestbury, Gloucestershire, England
- Father's Name:
- George Reeves
- Mothers's Name:
- Alice Jane Reeves
- Church of England
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Stevedore and Railway Employee
- Selarang Camp Changi; Thomson Road (Caldecot Hill Estate Camp); Selarang Barracks Changi
- ‘D’ Force Thailand, S Battalion
- Camps Thailand:
- Kanu II, Kao Rin, Nacompaton, Prachuab Kirikhan-Mergui Escape Road, Petchaburi
- 3 /9303 and 8839
- Return Details 1945:
- Thailand-Singapore by aircraft; Singapore-Fremantle, HMT Highland Brigade
Bill Reeves was sent to Burma-Thai with ‘D’ Force S Battalion.
This Battalion included the largest contingency of 2/4th men of all the Railway work Forces.
He worked firstly at Kanu II, then Kao Rin before being sent to Nacompaton.
Whilst at Nacompaton Hospital, Bill Reeves was one of eight 2/4th POWs to be included in the 1000 man workforce to construct the Mergui Escape Road.
Road construction commenced in April 1945.
Conditions at Nacompaton were so terrible, Bill thought at the time, any move was better than staying in this death camp, the POW’s description of the hospital camp. Initially the Japanese informed the men the work force was for light duties in Malaya! Another Japanese lie.
This road was to be constructed over challenging and mountainous terrain. When the war ended 18th August, Bill was airlifted to Singapore. One in four POWs died on this project
Borehole Bulletin April 1990
Bill’s daughter Mrs Mary Wheldon wrote, paying subscription with small donation. Chris McLennan who was friend of her late father had made arrangements for her to receive last years Borehole Bulletin. Although she currently had little contact with 2/4th Members, she enjoyed reading the magazine.
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Thomson Road (Caldecot Hill Estate Camp) - Singapore
- Kanu II, 152.30k - Thailand
- Kao Rin, Specialist Camp 46.92k - Thailand
- Mergui (Myiek) Escape Road - Thailand
- Nacompaton, Nakom Pathom Hospital - Thailand
- Petchaburi - Thailand