The Soldier's Details

First Name:
Kenneth Thomas
Nick Name:
Sergeant (promoted on 29.1.1942)
Regimental #:
Mentioned in despatches
'A' Company, No. 4 Platoon (Platoon Sgt)
Place of Birth:
Laverton, Western Australia
Father's Name:
Herbert MacLennan
Mothers's Name:
Ruby Victoria MacLennan (nee Lee)
Pre-war Occupation:
Truck Driver
Selarang Camp Changi
A' Force Burma, Green Force, No. 3 Battalion
Camps Thailand:
Tamarkan (hospital), Bangkok, Nacompaton
Camps Burma:
Victoria Point,
Return Details 1945:
Thailand-Singapore by aircraft, Singapore-Fremantle, HMT Circassia.

General Description

Wounded in action 12/2/1942. Shrapnel wound to right thigh. Wounded for a second time on 15/2/1942 at Buona Vista. Admitted to 2/13th A.G.H. with multiple shrapnel wounds to right thigh, back, back of right knee, sole of foot and forearm. Transferred to 20/10 Australian General Hospital 22/2/1942.
This NCO took command of No. 4 Platoon on the night of 12th and 13th February, 1942 when Lt. Manning was killed. It was noted that he did an excellent job even though he was wounded.
He was discharged to unit 22 February 1942.
While a POW in Singapore MacLennan was selected to work on Burma-Thai Railway with the first work Force to leave Singapore.
3,000 POWs of A’ Force Burma Green Force No. 3 Battalion departed Singapore Harbour in 3 ships June 1942 to sail to southwest coast of Burma.  Green Force went to Victoria Point, and the remaining ‘A’ Force split into two groups, one to Tavoy and the other to Ye.  They were set to work on repairing and extending the exisiting aerodromes left by the retreating British forces.
It wasn’t until 1st October that Green force started working on the northern most point of the rail link.  They would remain working in Burma until the line was completed and then moved south to Thailand by the end of 1943.
MacLennan was evacuated sick to Thanbyuzyat Hospital in October 1942 to Feb 1943.
He was working at Meiloe 75 km Camp then Angganaung 110km (or 105 km) before being evacuated to Tamakan Hospital with an ulcer to his foot. He was then moved to Bangkok 26 April 1944.  He was at Nacompaton August 1945 at the end of the war.
Please read about men of A Coy No. 4 Platoon


Tom’s father Herbert MacLennan enlisted WW1 joined 28th Btn then transferred to 51st on 3 Mar 1916.  Service No 2566.  MacLennan was KIA France during 1916.

Ruby MacLennan was residing in Albany in 1925, housekeeper.




Ruby became engaged twice, however we are not sure if she married.


Tom’s mother Ruby born Victoria 1892, died 9 May 1939 aged 47 at Cottesloe.



We believe Tom was the only child  born to Ruby Victoria Lee and Herbert MacLennan who married 1910 at Swan. Herbert with 51st Battalion, lost his life in WW1 1916 France.
Ruby would have had a challenging time as a sole parent  and working.


After the war Tom married at Fremantle 1948 to Phyllis May Mattison.
‘Tom’ died East Fremantle 25 October 1986 aged 74 years and was cremated Fremantle Cemetery.
He was in 1972 residing with his wife Phyllis May at Irwin St, East Fremantle.  He worked as a packerman.
Phyllis died 4 January 2006 aged 91 years.  She was buried at Karrakatta.



Below:  Tom’s father Herbert MacLennan WW1 details.


Camp Locations:

  • Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
  • Nacompaton, Nakom Pathom Hospital - Thailand
  • Tamarkan, Tha Makham 56k - Thailand