Capel WW2 Memorial


The following men enlisted with 2/4th MGB:

WX8011 DELAPORTE, Harry Thomas
b. Capel 1914 to Henry Thomas Delaporte and Emily Ada Harwood. Enlisted 10 Aug 1940 later joined 2/4th MGB’s ‘A’ Coy. Selected in Singapore to work Burma end of Burma-Thai Railway with ‘A’ Force Burma Green Force No. 3 Battalion. Survived his time on Burma-Thai Railway, was selected ‘fit’ by Japanese to work in Japan. Harry Delaporte lost his life when his transport ship ‘Rakuyo’ Maru was sunk by American submarines in South China Sea Sept 1944. Harry was 30 years of age. He left his wife Myrtle Mary Delaporte (nee Harris) widowed. Delaporte and Harris married in 1937.
Please read further about ‘A’ Force Burma, Green Force No. 3 Battalion
Also read about ‘Rakuyo’ Maru
Back L-R; Roy Harris (not 2/4) Charles Harris, Front: Toy Cox & Harry Delaporte

b. 1914 to Edward Harris and Ellen Curley Winwood who married 1909 Wellington. He Enlisted 13 August 1940 later joining 2/4th MGB’s ‘A’ Company with Delaporte (above) his brother-in-law. Harris was selected with ‘B’ Force Borneo and sailed from Singapore to work on airfields at Sandakan. Charlie Harris died of starvation and illness at Sandakan POW Camp 27 May 1945 aged 31 years.
Please read further about ‘B’ Force Borneo
WX14327 NYBO, Lawrence ‘Roy’
b. Broken Hill, NSW 1919 to Herman and Ivy Elizabeth Nybo. Enlisted 18 June 1941 and joined 2/4th’s Headquarters Company. Selected in Singapore with ‘D’ Force V Battalion to work on Burma-Thai Railway departing Singapore by rail 17 March 1943 in overcrowded rail trucks for four days to Thailand.
Please read further about ‘D’ Force V Battalion which endured horrific loss of lives. Nybo died of beri beri at Hindaine Camp, Thailand on 4 September 1943 aged 22 years.  Roy’s mother’s was formerly Payne,  a well known Capel family.


2/4th men who survived included Ken Tucker.


WX8357 Sgt Kenneth Dudley TUCKER – son of Frederick Roland Tucker and Ethel Rosina Tucker.  Enlisted AIF Oct 1940 and later joined 2/4th MGB’s ‘B’ Coy 9 Platoon under CO Lt Don Lee.
He left Singapore to work on Burma-Thai Railway with ‘D’ Force Thailand S Battalion in May 1943.  During this time he was evacuated June 1943 by barge to Tarsau from Kanyu II.  From Tarsau Hospital Camp Tucker was sen to Chungkai Hospital 19 July 43 to 25 May 1944.  During this time he volunteered with the Wood Party 1 Sep 43 to 30 Apr 1944.  From Chungkai Tucker was sent to Tamuang Camp.
It was at Tamuang he was considered ‘fit’ by the Japanese to work in Japan.  He left with ‘Rashin’ Maru Party for Japan where he worked in the copper mine at Yamane and the wharves at Niihama.  Tucker was reovered from Niihama at the end of war.  Please read about ‘D’ Force S Battalion on Burma-Thai Railway

‘Rashin’ Maru 70-day journey from Singapore to Japan